losr San Francisco Bay Area CA

“The Consumer and Environmental Protection Division of the [Alameda County, CA] District Attorney’s Office focuses primarily on cases involving fraud (and other economic crimes), environmental violations, crimes against elders and unfair business practices.”

Phone: (510) 569-9281
Link: Consumer and Environmental Protection Division of the DA’s Office
Updated: 15 Jun 2010

“EFPN is an award-winning nonprofit organization that offers community education events and training for financial professionals.

Founded in 2000 and based in San Francisco, California, EFPN partners with financial institutions and financial professionals throughout the United States to halt and prevent elder financial abuse. We also work directly with elders to empower them to avoid financial exploitation.”

Phone: (415) 956-5556
Link: http://www.bewiseonline.org/
Updated: 15 Jun 2010

“The National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA), directed by the U.S. Administration on Aging, is committed to helping national, state, and local partners in the field be fully prepared to ensure that older Americans will live with dignity, integrity, independence, and without abuse, neglect, and exploitation. The NCEA is a resource for policy makers, social service and health care practitioners, the justice system, researchers, advocates, and families.”

Phone: (302) 831-3525
Link: National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA)
Updated: 15 Jun 2010


are management agency Eldercare Services is presenting a workshop entitled Families Dealing with Dementia, which will cover:

  • Overview of the Dementias
  • Communication Strategies
  • Perspective through Award Winning Film & Personal Journeys

The workshop is scheduled on July 22, 2010 from 10AM until Noon (RSVP by July 19) and on August 18, 2010 from 6PM until 8PM (RSVP by August 16). It will be presented at the Eldercare Services Classroom, 1808 Tice Valley Blvd., Walnut Creek, CA. There is no charge, but RSVP is requested to (925) 937-2018.

You can see Eldercare Services schedule of workshops and their support group meeting schedule at EldercareAnswers.com.

“Institute on Aging (IOA) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization that touches the lives of thousands of seniors in San Francisco, Marin, and the Peninsula. IOA’s service mission is to enhance the quality of life for our diverse community of adults as they age. Our breadth of services enable elders in the San Francisco Bay Area to maintain their health, well-being, independence, and participation in the community. In our 25+ years of serving the Bay Area, IOA has developed and provided innovative programs in health, social service, creative arts, spiritual support, education, and research.”

Phone: (415) 750-4111
Toll Free: (877) 750-4111

Link: Institute on Aging (IOA)
Updated: 27 May 2010


he Commonwealth Club of San Francisco and Linda Fodrini-Johnson, MA, MFT, CMC of Eldercare Services will be presenting The Great Debate: Should I Move to a Retirement Community or Stay in My Home? on Wednesday June 23, 2010 at 5:15PM in the Gold Room, SF Commonwealth Club Office, 595 Market Street, San Francisco.

Making plans for retirement as the economy has challenged savings and home values is a concern for many. Fodrini-Johnson will discuss the pros and cons of either choice in the dilemma over whether to make the big move. She will explain the options and costs and provide tips on how to make this decision based on individual values.

Tickets are $12 members, $20 non-members, $7 students (with valid ID). For more information please call the Commonwealth Club at (415) 869-5930 or Eldercare Services at (415) 469-8338.

“The California Department of Developmental Services is the agency through which the State of California provides services and supports to individuals with developmental disabilities.

These disabilities include mental retardation, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism and related conditions. Services are provided through state-operated developmental centers and community facilities, and contracts with 21 nonprofit regional centers. The regional centers serve as a local resource to help find and access the services and supports available to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families.

The Consumer Corner has:

  • Information about the Consumer Advisory Committee (CAC)
  • Materials developed by DDS and CAC committee for consumers, families and professionals
  • Advocacy resources to help consumers ensure their rights are protected
  • Links to other resources available to individuals with developmental disabilities”

Phone: (916) 654-1888
Link: California Department of Developmental Services
Updated: 21 Apr 2010

They describe their site thusly: “Here you can find:

  1. Information about the Consumer Advisory Committee (CAC)
  2. Materials developed by DDS and CAC committee for consumers, families and professionals
  3. Advocacy resources to help consumers ensure their rights are protected
  4. Links to other resources available to individuals with developmental disabilities”

Link: Consumer Corner
Phone: (916) 654-1888
Updated: 14 May 2010

Transitions Partners describes their business thusly: “Transition Partners knows how life transitions can be particularly challenging for seniors, their families, and their caregivers. A new transition can mean moving to rejoin family, or moving to a smaller home, a retirement community, or an assisted living community. It can also mean staying in your current home (aging in place).

Transition Partners is uniquely suited to assist you with the complexities of these transitions and the emotional concerns that accompany them. We plan and organize resources to meet your needs, whether you’re relocating or choosing to remain in your current home. We take care of all of the details or some of them, it’s up to you. We have the experience and the resources to make this event a positive one! Find out who we are and how we do it.”

Rodney and his team were very helpful and compassionate. They helped moved furniture and belongings of one of my family members to her room at an Assisted Living facility. They did a beautiful job of setting things up as close as possible to how it looked at her home. They were very understanding of the situation, professional and supportive.

Phone: (510) 461-4792
Link: Rodney Walker, Transitions Partners
Updated: 21 Apr 2010

Exceptional Senior Placement describes their business thusly: “Compassion, respect and dignity are the foundation of my senior placement business. Being raised in a culture where seniors are revered for their wisdom and experience, I felt a great passion for starting a consulting service where I could be instrumental in helping families find the right placement for their loved ones.”

I have had very good experience with Mona Laichandani at Exceptional Senior Placement. She helps clients find appropriate facilities for the family member who needs care and she is quite knowledgeable about the facilities in the area including those who accept Medi-Cal. She accompanies clients to visit the facility and can help negotiate the contract at the facility. In addition, my partner Kathy reports a favorable experience with Courtney Blair, who worked with a client to find a facility that accepted Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Phone: (510) 910-0344
Link: Exceptional Senior Placement
Updated: 21 Apr 2010

“The Mental Health Association of Alameda County (MHAAC) works to improve care and treatment for persons who have a serious and/or chronic mental illness, and to improve services for their family caregivers.

In order to carry out that mission, MHAAC engages in two broad kinds of activities:

  • Providing direct assistance to persons with mental illness and to their families.
  • Advocating for improved public policy and to educate the public regarding mental illness”

Phone: (510) 835-5010
Link: Mental Health Association of Alameda County (MHAAC)
Updated: 21 Apr 2010

“Adult Protective Services (APS) responds to reports from individuals, concerned citizens, social service and health providers, and law enforcement representatives about adults with developmental disabilities, physically and mentally disabled adults, and the elderly, who may be physically or financially abused, neglected, or exploited.

Anyone aged 18 to 64 who, because of their mental or physical disability, or who is aged 65 or older and is suspected of being abused or neglected, is eligible for APS without regard to income.”

Notify APS immediately if you suspect elder abuse. To obtain more information or to report adult or elder abuse call APS in the San Francisco Bay area of CA at (510) 577-3500 or toll free at (866) 225-5277 (national number), 24 hours a day and all referrals are confidential.

Phone: (510) 577-3500
Link: Adult Protective Services (APS)
Updated: 21 Apr 2010

“The Regional Center of the East Bay (RCEB) is a private, non-profit corporation providing services and support to individuals with developmental disabilities under contract with the California Department of Developmental Services.”

Phone: (510) 383-1200
Link: Regional Center of the East Bay (RCEB)
Updated: 21 Apr 2010

Specializing in persons with disabilities, autism, mental illness, and dementia, they offer house calls and “The One-Sleep-Visit™”. We’ve heard a glowing report after a first hand experience.

Unconscious sedation involves the use of I.V. sedation or general anesthesia, which produces complete sleep during which you will be free of pain and will have no memory of the procedure.

Phone: (800) 395-1152
Link: Blende Dental Group
Updated: Nov 2009

Services offered, contact information and some downloadable forms.

Phone: (510) 251-2400
Link: Phillips Bonding Company
Link: Application Forms
Updated: 10 Sep 2010

Next Page »